Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Simple Answer

There was once a time when I, being young and precocious, thought that I had an answer for all of the questions. Even if I didn't know the ACTUAL answer, I did my best to come up with a plausible response. In college I found that a few big words, a little cynicism and a dose of humor would usually do the job.

As I have grown older, and begrudgingly found myself an adult, I find I cannot even fathom the answer to many questions. Be they questions I ask myself, or questions asked of me, I just don't have the answers.

Rather than work to conjure up something to respond with, knowing it would be just a hollow lie, the simple answer is - I just don't know.

I find solace in the fact that 1- I just don't need to have all the answers, and 2- it is barely summer and so hot you can fry an egg on the concrete. Both give me immense comfort and allow me to simple bow out of any explanation requested.

The first is comforting because I know that He who holds the answers, and my heart, will remain faithful. He has gone before me.

The second because summer reminds me of my fabulous childhood. It makes me think of watermelon on the front porch, lazy rides down the Suwannee River, and late night movies with my daddy.

So, for now, despite all of the pressing, nagging, gnawing questions....I will choose the simple answer and leave the rest alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment