Monday, July 11, 2011

Life in Every Pore

This morning, in bed with a sweet baby boy who woke up at 5:30, I tried to rationalize with myself that running was not a good idea today. It's too hot and muggy. My arms hurt from trying to wakeboard- (the most ridiculous one). River will be probably be fussy and drive mom nuts. My knees are a little sore.

Then my thoughts took a sharp turn towards "I ate too much yesterday, so what is the point? Every time I make progress, something sets me back, so why put myself through it?"

Imagine my surprise a few minutes later, when I was dressed with my socks on and heading downstairs for a thermofit before heading out the door.
The hot air hit my face and I almost turned around. Then, my playlist started and this song came on-





I have no idea what it is about the musicality of this song, but I found myself sprinting joyously through the neighborhood, with a smile on my face. It moved me so much and I just took every step like I was some sort of tigress on the hunt for her prey.

The joy that comes from even a small accomplishment is so sweet. SO SWEET! I have said my whole life that I would only be a runner if someone were after me with a knife. However, now I realize that there way, lying dormant inside of me, a little runner hoping for the chance to spring free. Something powerful resides in the picking up and putting down of my feet so surely. The need to take deep clean breaths, the feeling of heat in my face- I must admit that I LOVE IT.

I think back now, to this morning in bed with River. All of that negativity could have stolen all of these wonderful moments away. Lesson learned, I guess. And, it applies to all of life.

When we let negative self-talk in and absorb it, we are cheating ourselves out of the whole deliciousness of life. When I feel tired, if I tell myself that I will never make it through the day, I probably won't! If I look at the mess that is our bedroom and tell myself that it will take me hours to clean it and it will just be cluttered again in a few days- GUESS WHAT? It will probably be true.

However, if I learn to wave off those thoughts like dust, and replace them with positivity, I might possibly be able to savor life in every pore!

We heard yesterday at church about taming the tongue in James chapter 3. The deadly weapon that is the tongue is not only a detriment to those around us, but to ourselves. Matthew 12:34 was part of our lesson yesterday and I have not stopped thinking about the last part of it- For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

Oh my!! What is really in my heart? Do I really think so low of myself? Do I really think a little sleep deprivation is the end of the world? When I think or speak those things...is it really what is in my heart? If so, I am saddened by this. To think with love and encouragement is just one step removed from speaking it. We must guard those sweet thoughts and make them joyful.

Life in every pore. To think of living so wide open that each experience is meaningful, that each moment is sweet simply for its existence!! It is an exciting prospect for sure. When that happens, what could we possibly do but conquer life with zest and hope!? Will you live that way? Will I?


Health update- Weekends are my downfal. I do so well during the week but when the weekend comes, I fall apart. I have to get my mind right on Fridays for what is to come Saturday. If I know we will be out and busy, I need to plan my meals around that. I did, however, put on a pair of cut off jean shorts from last summer! Every little victory is worth a little dance...so I did the running man. (Appropriate). Hope your week is healthy in heart and body!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment