Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Bird's Story

The following is a 10 page little book I am publishing for Maddy's first bday. Just thought I would share.



A Bird's Story


Dedicated to Madelyn Eve, on her first birthday, in hopes that one day she may know the great impact she has had on our lives, even from the start.


This is but a glimpse, little bird.





Like a tiny little secret, God gave me you to keep safe and quiet. I felt you in my body from the first moment, but when I first heard your sweet little heartbeat, the staccato punctuation to my steady thrum- I began to dream of you. What would it feel like to hold you? How soft would your hair be? What would it be like to look into your face and see pieces of your daddy- pieces of me? How much would you change our lives?


You have always been a show stopper Madelyn. You rolled and twirled all hours of the day and night- reminding me and forewarning me that you were feisty and proud. You loved music and would kick happily and pump your fists whenever I sang to you.


You mystified your Daddy. He longed so much to feel you like I did. We would fall asleep at night, his hand resting on my belly, and he would whisper, “I’m ready to meet you.”


Maddy, God had a very unique and precious plan for you! Before you were quite done growing, you made your unexpected entrance into our lives. Your birth was startling, frightening, and amazing- your tiny cries a miracle, your perfectly formed body a gift from a God who loves us- me, you, your daddy- enough to keep you safe against all odds.


You stayed in a quiet and special place for two weeks. It was a gentle space for tiny babies to grow and get strong. Though I couldn’t be with you, I yearned for you- my heart attached by the toughest threads to yours- I absolutely longed to be with you. I knew, though, that you were being cared for by angels and attended to by God.


The first time I held you, oh, you were so small. Maddy, you were the most precious baby to behold. Tiny! You were four pounds with a sweet fuzzy head and big bright eyes. And, with all the world quiet, for just a moment, you rested against my chest, and our hearts once again began to beat together, that blessed cadence.

The first time your daddy held you- I held my breath. You two fit together like pieces of the sweetest puzzle I have ever seen. You looked into his face like you knew him. His heart! I thought it would burst out of his chest! You may never fully be able to understand the depth of love that he feels for you, but in that moment, I think you knew it.

You blew our minds from day one and grew so fast and strong. You came home much earlier than anyone thought- it was a miracle.

Madelyn Eve, please remember that the One who made you that strong, the One who gave you the determination to fight so hard- He is the ultimate joy, the genuine peace, and the biggest love you will ever know. You are God’s special girl- a message of love to your family, a whisper of hope to those who know you, and a reassurance that God never leaves His children. Do you see how He has already used you? Do not forget how special He thinks you are!

When you came home, our tiny house began to glow with excitement. Your family came to see you every day- they left work, they put aside chores, and they braved bad weather- just to be with you! You, sweet baby, were loved so greatly from the moment you were born!

As you grew, you began to show your delightful personality. You have always loved to laugh and grin. You’ve been bouncing and dancing from the day you learned to hold your head up. Now you have grown into such a healthy little girl, I am quite shocked you were ever considered tiny!

This is your first birthday and for me, it is both extremely joyous and also a bit sad. I didn’t know this time would pass so quickly. I had no idea that we would blink and you would be one year old! I feel like I should have watched you more closely, memorized your every transformation, taken better notes! Still, here we are and you are my perfect little bird!

There are so many things still ahead of you. I pray you will have the fullest life. I pray you will be reckless with your kindness and cautious with your heart. I hope you will always find me a comforting hand to hold and your daddy the safest place to land. I pray you will be happy as God made you and not try to be something different. I hope I can teach you enough about Godly confidence to get you through even the toughest of days. I pray you will know that your daddy is your warrior and he will endure your troubles alongside you. Mostly, I pray that you will know God intimately, His love, His sacrifice through Jesus, and His grace which gives you freedom to love Him wide open and without abandon!

I know that you will find joy in the smallest things, because that is your nature. You are a small thing, my little bird, but full of vivid life. You are the most important story I could ever tell. And this one year is just the beginning.

Maddy, may the love multiply! And may your dad and I strive to impart even half the joy and love you have already given us!


 

1 comment:

  1. I can not even begin to tell you how beautiful this is! What a lucky little girl she is to have parents who love her so much! I can not believe a year has already passed...it seems like only yesterday she born. Congratulations on making it through this year....it's a major accomplishment with these little ones! :)

    ReplyDelete