Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rest and Recharge

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.


Psalm 62:1

This picture was taken on the way to Anniston, Alabama this past Sunday. I love how peaceful they look. When Maddy goes down for a nap, sometimes it is a wrestling match and she is a slippery alligator. When she wakes, however, she is alert and happy, with shiny bright eyes and hands and feet ready to make a mess. It's a simple reality- rest does our bodies a favor.

I know some people say "After you have kids, you will never rest again." I just can't buy into that. I will agree that it is not as easy to rest, as your schedule is no longer your own and you adjust to the needs and schedule of the child. I think that the true issue may lie in what "rest" really is and what it looks like for us all.

For me, rest can be anything from a cozy nap in the bed with Maddy curled up beside me, to a little time in the Word each day when the house is finally quiet and I have time to devote to the study. Where I fail in this area is my heart and head. I worry. I am anxious. And just as I can rest my "eyes" for a nap, my brain can still be spinning out of control- leading my heart down a path of anxious trepidation.

God calls us out of that cautious doubt and worry. I think it may stifle our best parts- our creativity, our witness, our love. I have tried everything for this anxiety- medicine, relaxation techniques, exercise- yet nothing really works except simple time in rest. On that same token- if we do not quiet down, purpose to have restful moments in our lives- how can we really hear from God?

The same can be said for rest in our relationships. My husband, Chris, and I are leaving here in about two hours for a short, (cheap) trip to Asheville. Our marriage demands it. I can give you a laundry list of the reasons why we do not spend enough time together! It will rain the entire time we are there....THE WHOLE TIME. I had visions of strolling the Biltmore Village, heading up to Mt. Mitchell if it is clear....all or which require semi-good weather...not the thunderstorms that are predicted. So, we have adjusted our plan accordingly. We will visit local galleries, stop and grab some freetrade coffee from a free-spirited coffee shop, and let ourselves do nothing if we choose. Do nothing on purpose. Spend time talking about things that get skipped over in daily life. This is the new plan. I will concede that I am even more excited about this plan than the other! I am so excited to just enjoy my husband's company, to just be around him with no timeline or schedule.

So, here's to rest! Not idleness or laziness- just rest. Even if it is 5 minutes- we have to find it...hiding in the moments we let slip by.

No comments:

Post a Comment