Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My relationship with Leptin

So, hopefully you read the Leptin rules in the previous post and have a confused look upon your curious face.

If so, let me make it essentially clear that while I make no claims at being a Leptin expert, I am learning what works for me and what doesn't.

I am a product of the 5 small meals a day revolution. INCREASE your metabolism!!! Eat low CARBS! This way of eating had me scared to death at first, but I have since found it quite easy to adapt.


So, here are just a few ways I have made this diet work for me. Hopefully my mom and sister will comment below and share their thoughts also.

  1. Yes, I really only eat 3 meals a day! I do not snack, and if I do, I feel it later. Aren't you STARVING, though? Not really. When my stomach growls I can bet that it is exactly time for another meal, rather than a craving or low sugar.
  2. I eat protein for breakfast. 
    1. 3 egg whites (seriously only egg whites, no broken yolk) with fresh spinach, mushrooms, onions, and grape tomatoes. Spray a little EVOO in the pan and saute the spinach and mushrooms until wilted and soft. Add your egg whites and let them sit until they begin to set up like an omelet. Next, chop your onions and tomatoes and add to top of eggs. Once the eggs are well-set, flip over for 3 minutes and serve. I season them with pepper and Kroger Brand Original Zesty Blend. YUMMO
    2. 8 oz protein shake made with the purest whey protein I could find- Gold Standard brand at Vitamin Shoppe (it is on sale this week!). Sometimes I throw in a tablespoon of organic almond butter and a half of a banana. I also just shake it in my Blender Ball cup with water when in a hurry (in which case I will eat a teaspoon of the almond butter on my way out of the house).
  3. I eat a big lunch.
    1. Mixed salad- romaine, arugula, and baby spinach. Onion, cabbage, tomatoes, and 1/4 avocado. I also buy tuna, chicken, and salmon in those little pop-top cans when they are on sale and stock up. I bought fresh mozzarella and through a little of that on the salad. I use lime juice, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar to make a dressing. 
    2. Steamfresh veggies with canned chicken and low sodium soy sauce. I partner this with some Quinoa that I make ahead and YUM. High protein with healthy carbs! 
    3. Leftover grilled chicken with a veggie and a small salad. It is important to remember to eat protein and veggies...so I do my best!
  4. I drink a TON of water. To help make it a little more bearable at dinner time, I pour a little sparkling water over ice and add a tablespoon of pure Pomegranate/Blueberry concentrate (found in your neighborhood grocery freezer section) and a splash of lime juice. During the day at work, I fill my 32 ounce water bottle with ice water and a splash of lime and go to it. Easy peasy.
  5. I take my supplements, you can see them on the previous post. Omega 3s, CLA, Calcium-Magnesium, and a multi.
  6. I eat a balanced dinner. 
    1. Buy frozen tilapia filets in bulk- they thaw in less than an hour and are great for nights when you have nothing planned. Drizzle filets with EVOO, splash with lemon or lime juice, sprinkle with rosemary, sea salt, and pepper. I also add minced garlic. Bake wrapped in foil until flaky. Pair with half of a sweet potato (no brown sugar allowed) and spinach salad. 
    2. Grilled chicken- either marinated in a brine (water with added salt and garlic) or marinated in pomegranate concentrate. I do a ton of different veggies with this- tomatoes on kabobs, corn wrapped in foil, and mixed veggies in foil (broc, asparagus, onion, tomato, squash). 
  7. I eat a piece of dark chocolate OCCASIONALLY! It is PACKED with disease fighting antioxidants, and hey, it is YUMMY. 
  8. I don't eat after dinner until the next day's breakfast. Not anything...not a morsel.
  9. I focus on how great I feel. Like I've said before, I do not feel hungry or deprived. So, I get to revel in my new-found energy and shinier hair!!
I recommend that if you really are interested, you buy the book The Leptin Diet by Byron Richards or his other great book Mastering Leptin and learn about what Leptin does in your body. Hope this helps those of you who were curious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment