Thursday, February 4, 2010

Homemade Magnet Tutorial

I made these cute glass magnets for Christmas gifts this year and they were a hit. I was able to customize each set to the color pallette that I knew each gift recipient would love. I have to give props to Samarah Hays again for the idea- she is full of them!!

I went through a few items in a trial and error period and this is what I found works best:

Round craft magnets
Various scrapbooking papers- I used adhesive and non-adhesive types
Scrapbooking alphabet stickers
Small round glass beads
Glass and bead glue
Round metal tins with lids (if you plan to give them as gifts)
-You can also use old Altoid cans instead
Scissors
Pencil


1. Trace the magnet- not the glass- to allow the paper to be magnified by the glass bead and not hang over the edges of the magnet. I tried tracing the glass and it looked messy.


2. Cut out the circles you have made and glue each one to a magnet using your bead glue. Squeeze one dot in the middle of the magnet and press the paper circle down on top of it, spreading the glue out from the middle.


4. Now you pick out your beads. Some of them will be dusty, scratched, chipped, or cracked. Pick through until you find the ones you like. Place a dot of glue in the midde, and then press the bead down firmly onto the paper-covered magnet- again spreading the glue out to the sides, creating a seal.


5. You can also customize each one using the alphabet stickers. I used a cute "a" for Austin- and these magnets are staying on my fridge!



Finally, after you have allowed them to properly dry- about 2 hours or so, you can put them nicely into a tin and voila! Done!


I must say that these little magnets make my day when I see them holding up coupons, photos, and (ahem) even bills on the refrigerator! I hope you have as much fun with these quick little gifts as I have! Send me photos if you make them!







2 comments:

  1. I love the new layout! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you girl! I worked FAR too late on this blog last night but now it makes me so happy!!

    ReplyDelete