Sunday, April 11, 2010

Coffee Filter Banner Tutorial


 The mere fact that I am calling this a tutorial makes me laugh. This was a laborious project for myself and my mother in law, Tammy (MIL). However, after seeing it here and HAD TO HAVE IT!!!

Here are the goods:

Natural colored coffee filters
various sheets of colored tissue paper from showers past
silver, white, and patterned cupcake liners
beads from the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby
yarn- this is part of the "What not to use" section. Ran out of twine after all pom poms were made and had to resort to using yarn. Because I procrastinate.
scotch tape

First, I cut the circles from the tissue paper in three sizes. I didn't measure and let them sort of each be a little unique. I wanted them to be smaller than the coffee filters- which I folded into fourths and trimmed half an inch.



Then, we crumpled up the tissue paper, cupcake liners, and coffee filters and flattened them back out.
Once everything was cut, we tried to organize them in some manner...which took up an entire room.


 All beads were cut from their string and placed in a semi-kitty-proof area.

Then, using a kabob skewer, we began to make our pom poms by gathering them together and poking a hole through the center. We put a very tightly rolled piece of tape over the end of the yarn to keep it firm so that it would pierce the papers. I was in charge of tying on beads and spacing each pom out by 10 inches while MIL put the poms together and threaded onto yarn. Again, please use twine or a thinner type of thread!!


You can see in the picture above that I was tying the beads on with separate pieces of yarn...which can be avoided if using twine...but the shorter pieces of yarn were easier to thread through each bead.
Once all are threaded onto the string, you just bunch up and hang. We had 20 feet to hang and this is what it looked like!!


If you make this, PLEASE let me know! I want to see more of them! It was so much fun and so beautiful! Hope you embrace adventure, though...this is a doozy!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I plan on making coffee filter banners for my fall wedding next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete