Monday, April 19, 2010

Making the Most of the Least

Do you know how I came to realize that I was a writer?

I was 19 and in college. Enrolled in exercise science classes, hoping to make a life of being a BodyPlex gym rat, and offering impeccable personal training to a loyal clientele. I took one day of Kinesiology, almost threw up from the fear, and went home to cry. Sitting in the floor of my bedroom I cried to my mom on the phone about not knowing "Whaaa whaaa I'm gonnnnna dooohoohooo." DRAMA. She asked me "Hey...what do you love to do?" Well, sing, dance, throw the football, flirt with cute guys, sit on the porch and drink coffee, go to the beach, play with Cooper and Avery. What kind of life will I make of THAT?

Writing. What I had done to fill countless numbers of journals over the years! I even used writing to communicate my most earnest prayers to the Lord. I had been writing poetry and music since I could hold a pencil. But, how could I ever make a living out of that?

What I learned, once I had AGAIN changed my major- this time to English, with a Creative Writing concentration, was that writing was actually conducive to all of the things I wanted out of life, which included but were not limited to:

  • To glorify and love the Lord with my every little breath and whim.
  • To reach out to teenage girls (whom I was working with often at that time in my life) where they were (which was sometimes two states away from me)- hence my first blog being born in 2004...yes blogging existed then!
  • To express all of the richly colorful ideas and thoughts floating around in my head.
  • To share with the world all of the many ways in which I was learning to enjoy and celebrate life. 
  • To be a blessing to my family and my future husband and children.
  • To make a living.

Beyond all of that, however, I have found that I was simply born to put pen to paper. I love words in a profound and deep way that I had never realized until I was struck with my seemingly limited prospects of future success.

The point in all of this? To see beyond the mundane, personal barriers we falsely erect in lieu of actually DREAMING and STRIVING. To see beyond it and find that Voila! There is always something that can be made great...even if it seems insignificant.

By the way- my love of "playing with Cooper and Avery" filled the early posts of my first blog- the Worn Pages and actually helped earn me my first job in publishing. You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment